Monday, April 26, 2010

Pizza night!





So I am on this make my own food kick, and when it comes to pizza its more of a necessity because of the no cheese thing. But I was buying par-baked pizza crusts from the store for as much as $5 for me and Mike. Turns out its super cheap and easy to make your own. I think my 5lbs of bread flour was about $3.50 and everything else you normally have in the pantry. The olive oil is the real pricey part of this recipe and its only 3 table spoons, not bad at all. Now the first time I made this I used all white bread flour but it really is better with a little wheat flour. I used the recipe off recipezaar. Here is the link http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Pizza-Dough-and-Sauce-1005. I do not use the sauce recipe.

Ingredients
Pizza Dough

* 3/4 tablespoon yeast
* 1 1/2 cups warm water
* 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
* 3 tablespoons oil
* 4 cups flour (we prefer half white, half wheat)

In a large bowl, sprinkle yeast over warm water (I add a pinch of sugar) and allow to set until it begins to foam, about 5 minutes.

Stir in salt, oil and half of flour. Gradually add remaining flour, mixing well.

Knead 8-10 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place in greased bowl and let rise until double (1/2-1 hour) Punch down and let rise again until double. Punch down and divide. Pat out on two pizza pans.

Top with pizza sauce & toppings. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

This dough turns out great, if you want more flavor let rise for 30 minutes. Then let it have a slow 2nd rise in the refrigerator for 4 to 6 hours. Then you can dress up the pizza any way you like it. Tonight I made an everything pizza with vegetarian Italian sausage, black olives, mushrooms, green bell peppers and soy mozzarella cheese.

No comments: