Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Ricotta cheese ( lactose free)

I have not had real stuffed shells in... 7 years. I have tried to use fake cheese and tofu... and it was not the same. But I have found that 1 year aged Parmesan cheese, 1 year aged provolone cheese, and home made ricotta with lactose free milk = the best stuffed shells ever! And no tummy trouble!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was so happy I ate like 3 servings.

If you do not over dry the cheese you get about 2 cups of ricotta for 2 quarts milk and 1/4 cup lemon juice. This really took no time at all. Including draining it through the cheese cloth it took 15 minutes.



Heat the milk to 175 degrees Fahrenheit (stirring to prevent scorching).

Stir in the lemon juice, stir for 3 minutes.

Turn off the heat, and let sit for 5 minutes.

Place cheese cloth in strainer over a bowl, and slowly poor in what is not milk and whey.

Let drain until you get the dryness you want. I over dried it so I took some of the whey I captured in the bowl and re added it to the cheese and fluffed it up with a fork.

Than I made my favorite cheese stuffed shell recipe, and it was amazing. Everything I had been missing. And I plan on using this to make cannolis as soon as possible.

No comments: