Sunday, November 16, 2008

Asparagus !!!!!


The first time I tried asparagus I was 14 and my French club went to the Refactory. The Refactory is a beautiful French Restaurant in Columbus. It was the first time I had ever experienced fine dinning, and it was amazing! I had among other things a side of white asparagus in a cream sauce and it was delicious. Now that my lactose intolerance has become so severe that I can't eat any dairy products I have not been able to eat asparagus, because it always seems to be in a yummy cream sauce. Last night I decided to try and make asparagus without cream sauce, and it turned out to be really good.

Ingredients:

1/2 pound fresh asparagus (asparagus usually comes in 1 pound bundles but I was only making enough for two so I only used a 1/2 a pound)

Tablespoon Olive Oil (or Canola Oil depending on what you have)

1 to 2 cloves minced garlic ( I love garlic so I use two but for more mild flavor use 1)

1/8 teaspoon salt and fresh cracked black pepper

Dash of Italian seasoning ( I used Mrs. Dash, but what ever you have on hand will work)


Give the asparagus a good wash under the tap and then trim off the not so tender part of the stalk. The easiest way to do this is to grab the asparagus below the tip with on hand and at the stalk end with the other hand. Give it a gentle bend making the asparagus into an arch until the bottom snaps off. Place the large top piece in a 8x8 glass baking dish and continue till all the asparagus is cleaned and trimmed. You can throw away/ compost the small tough ends of the asparagus or save them to make a vegetable stock later.

Drizzle the oil over the asparagus, add garlic, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Using your hands rub the oil, garlic, and spices all over the asparagus until coated.

Put in a 350 degree oven for 10 to 12 minutes. You want the asparagus to be fork tender but not mushy and over done. It should be tender enough to skewer with a fork but still have a crunch or crispness when you bit into it.

Serve along side with meats, poultry dishes, or a vegetarian meal.

No comments: